Tuesday 12 February 2008

Fruit and more fruit


I'm determined to minimise food wastage in this household. If that means I eat pasta carbonara for breakfast (like yesterday), so be it. Lucky I'm not fussy like that! It is going to be a little more difficult for me to not waste all the fruit from our trees at the moment though. I have a basket of apples waiting for attention (they really need to be cooked rather than just eaten raw, as they were picked early to avoid the birds and codling moth - we've lost a lot of apples to the grubs already).

I haven't even started picking the pears yet, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I am seeing some friends on Friday, so if I get my act together before then I can give some away, but I'd also like to find some recipes to use some of them up - I'm not a big pear eater, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge for me. Any suggestions? Recipes that I can freeze would be especially welcome.

Today I baked a banana cake and banana bread - the house still smells lovely, and there are no longer any overripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl. Next time though, I'm prepared with this Monkey Cake recipe!

No comments: