Thursday 23 April 2009

Invasion!

Last night we witnessed a Dalek invasion - at the National Museum of Australia.



It was all part of the International Year of Astronomy and Earth Day, and there were some *serious* star gazing activities as well as the Daleks and craft activities. Not that we visited the Panetarium or star-gazed through the big telescopes outside or heard the universe explained in 20 minutes - I think the organisers seriously underestimated how popular this event would be, and it was a bit chaotic.

I was pretty unimpressed by the kids (and adults!) who mobbed the Daleks - pushing them and grabbing onto their weapons. They actually did a bit of damage, and at least one Dalek left the Hall rapidly when it all got a bit out of hand. I know my children would have been hauled away if they'd even thought about behaving like that - I don't understand what the parents of these kids are thinking (or perhaps not thinking!).

But it was worth going just to see the Daleks ;)

1 comment:

Domestic Adventuress said...

I don't know about the other parents, but the first time the Daleks appeared we were still standing in the queue...

My kids were appalled that the Daleks seemed to deliberately be chasing the preschoolers, until I pointed out that the preschoolers were probably short enough that the Daleks thought it was clear space in that direction LOL.