Sunday 10 February 2008

Dig!

[Originally posted Thursday 7 February 2008]

My dear friend The Crone at Wit’s End has volunteered her services as a ‘Companion Planter’ in the Victory Garden Drive 2008 , and I’m her first recruit. The goal of the drive is for two million new organic gardens to be planted worldwide this year.
Declare victory against lack of control over the quality of your food! Join hands and hoes across our FoodShed Planet to create and inspire new organic gardens. Goal: 2 MILLION new organic gardens in 2008! Spread the manure--and spread the word!

It’s just the shove I need. I had a great vege garden going some years ago – before the pregnancy nausea kicked in – and it never really recovered from the neglect. Until NOW!

I have two plots I can rescue – they’ve been lying unused (let’s call it ‘fallow’) for a long time, apart from bearing a spectacular weed crop, and it’s time to get out there and get dirty.

First a confession though. It’s been a while since I even went out into the backyard, apart from hanging out washing, and one time collecting apples. I have avoided it because it’s been so neglected it’s now a major job. I will take photos so you can see I’m not kidding. Somewhere out there are some plants donated by The Crone when she flew into the sunset, and I’m really hoping they can be resuscitated (the geranium is still going strong, but is in need of a tidy up).

So the plan is:
  • Tomorrow: take ‘before’ photos
  • Sat/Sun: clear the corner bed, investigate the neglected compost bins to see if there’s anything useable inside, and prepare it for planting. And PLANT SOMETHING!

I’m going to use the Gardenate website as a guide, mainly because it’s simple. The February planting list for my climate zone includes beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, collards, leeks, lettuce, onion, parsley, parsnip, peas, radish, shallots.

Time to stop procrastinating! DIG!

No comments: