Wednesday 10 September 2008

Chickpeas - and the children approved!

I'm gradually working my way through some of the "seemed like a good idea at the time" foodstuffs lurking in the pantry. On Monday night I pulled out a jar of dried chickpeas of unknown vintage, and figured they probably wouldn't kill us ... So they were duly soaked overnight. Then I got distracted yesterday. So they soaked for about 48 hours all up, and got nice and fat again ...



Tonight I threw them in the Thermomix, along with other vegetable leftovers from the fridge (including carrot, cauliflower & peas, a few spoonfuls of baked beans and some tomatoey-sauce from a previous meal) , a couple of eggs, some breadcrumbs and red curry paste. Process into a thick paste. Heat a small amount of oil in a heavy pan, drop spoonfuls of the mix in, cook until golden. I made some big 'burger' size and some small 'vege nugget' size for the kids.

And they were a big hit!



If you want a 'proper' recipe, try this one.

I am not a natural cook, so to be able to throw something like this together with a bunch of leftovers and have it come out edible is very exciting! Only now I'll probably get all cocky & have to deal with a disaster next ...

1 comment:

naturewitch said...

Hi Karen

They sound and look fabulous. I know what you mean about one success then never being able to replicate it. I get brilliant ideas sometimes when faced with leftovers or bits and pieces (especially just before pay day), but do you think I ever remember what I did? Oh well, every meal's an adventure . . .

As for chick pea burgers, we used to make some when we were kids and our family was vego. I think the recipe came from a book called something like The Barley, Peas, Beans and Oats Cookbook, but I've never found it again.

Anyway, as far as I remember, the recipe had soaked and cooked chick peas and soy beans blended up (more chick peas than soy beans), with some onion, garlic, stock powder, soy sauce, egg and breadcrumbs added. They were cooked as you described.

My recollection was that they were quite yummy. I must try to see if I can make them again. Trouble is, I live with carnivores, who have been known to mutter things like "I need my meat" and "I don't do real well on beans" . . sigh! xx