Saturday 15 November 2008

Thoughts on school fetes

Today is our school fete. Now as school fetes go, it's a pretty good one - plenty of stalls, plenty of activity, plenty of secondhand books ... And it's a real money spinner for the P&C - last year the fete made close to $20 000. As usual, it's the same people who get involved and drive the whole thing, and people don't volunteer until the last desperate minute, but that seems par for the course these days.

What I've been thinking about, though, is that fetes - especially in country areas, where I spent a large part of my childhood - used to have a lot more community involvement in the form of competitions. You know - the biggest pumpkin, the best dahlia, art competitions, flower arranging, baking, craft and so on. It's all entered in categories, and people can buy the items, although they have to stay on display until the end of the day.

I know that local shows still do this sort of thing, and I know there's a lot of work involved in the organisation, but what do you think? There could be a small entry fee, the items could be sold (with a percentage going to the school), and there would be prizes (mostly ribbons & glory, and possibly something a little more substantial for grand prize winners).

Is this something you would get involved in at your local school (and it doesn't have to be limited to school families - the whole community could be invited)? Do you think it would work? And do you think I should make a proposal to P&C about it for next, knowing full well that I would probably end up running it? Am I insane?

We could start with just a few categories, and if it took off, expand from there. The possibilities are great, and I am feeling very inspired by a virtual village fete in Belgium ;) We so need a marrowdile in this neck of the woods!

3 comments:

goingferal(ish) said...

I think it could be fun, though given the time of year it wouldn't be great for biggest zucchini or anything :) We could certainly do a cake competition etc.

And you know I'll help if you do have to run it! LOL

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea. I'd love to see that type of activity make a resurgence. Even cake baking, scone baking type competitions. And needlework. It would be wonderful for the kids to get involved with too. Like the landcare watermelon challenge.

Domestic Adventuress said...

I loved your school fete! And if you spread the word it could become a mini-Canberra show for craft and produce. Bit of an awkward season, though...